Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Absolute Insanity

I'm currently on a baking craze in honor of my best friend's bridal shower on Saturday eveing. I'm in charge of desserts for something between 40 and 100 people... and that means that I'm baking for 100 and expect left-overs. ;-) Thus far I have three layers of devil's food cake, three layers of white chocolate-pecan cake and 40 chiffon tea cakes in the freezer, awaiting the day of frostment.

(posting interrupted here for the sake of a dirty diaper that just came to me bearing a beautiful little boy with brown curls and dark grey eyes)


Today I'm planning on adding 4 layers of peanut butter cake to the collection, tonight after church I'll add two layers of dark chocolate-apricot cake, and tomorrow... I don't know what I'll do. I really can't make the frostings and fillings yet, and I can't freeze the orange pound cake that has to be made, so I guess I'll spend tomorrow sewing.



(Becca and I, August 2005. Our first "best friends" picture)

(Becca and I, December 2008)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


This morning Mom headed out pretty early with Daniel, Micah, Rachel, Nathanael and Benjamin. Benjamin has an eye appointment, (he's the last of the kids that Mom and Dad feel are in need of glasses. The new insurance plan has gotten a lot of weight off of their minds.) Nathanael went along for the ride and the three older kids are spending the day at our farm with Dan, putting the last of the flooring in the bedrooms and doing whatever other handywork needs to be done. The sinks and toilets and ceiling fans have to be installed, and painting will be finished next Tuesday. The plan is to be moved by the end of June. Seems this deadline is actually one that is essential to life, so it might just actually happen.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++


Eilis is coming over for the afternoon while her Mommy goes into town for an ultrasound... which, btw, JOSH AND TYANA ARE EXPECTING ANOTHER BABY! Today's ultrasound will determine due-date...we're expecting it to be rather uncomfortably close to Aaron's wedding date in November...we'll see though. :-)

-----------------------------------------------------

But when we look at each other so
Then we feel how little we know; -S Teasdale



Today I'm giving my first piano lesson to Shaiya. She contacted me last week and will be taking lessons before children's choir every Wednesday afternoon. I don't like teaching, but with orchestra going on summer break next week I'll be losing my one steady source of income until October. Teaching a lesson a week won't exactly be equal to what I make through the winter, but it's better then nothing. I suppose I'll do a little bit of actual advertising in the next couple weeks and see if I can't fill two or three more slots on Wednesday afternoons. Despite the fact that I thoroughly dislike it, teaching is a pretty simple way to supplement any budget, and since the Lord has dropped a student in my lap I may as well further the cause, no?

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Alrighty, well, lunch must be made, children must be put to bed for naps, bread must be baked, peanut butter cakes put together and gotten in the freezer, first lesson music rounded up, baths given, children dressed for church, and etc. Duty calls and since duty keeps the mind busy, and duty is enjoyable, it's a welcome call.

God bless and keep you.
-Joanna


No later light has lighten'd up my heaven,
No second morn has ever shone for me;
All my life's bliss from thy dear life was given,
All my life's bliss is in the grave with thee.

But when the days of golden dreams had perish'd,
And even Despair was powerless to destroy;
Then did I learn how existence could be cherish'd,
Strengthen'd and fed without the aid of joy. -E Bronte
...and I know the river is wide....

1 comment:

Mary said...

I remember that first picture of you and Becca being taken! Fun memories...
I also remember the day I tried to convince a frightened shy little girl that she really ought to come along to this new church... and told her that I thought that she actually might like this girl named Joanna Burks! :) I so wish I had taped our conversation that evening before Becca came to Bethesda for the first time. It would be utterly hilarious to listen to now! :)

I'm just so happy that the two of you are best of friends - you really being out the best in each other! :)