Friday, June 24, 2011

House Purchase!

We're buying a house this week, so we've been shopping like crazy, coming up with ways to furnish our extra bedroom and redecorate our living room. One thing we differ on is whether or not to go super modern. Quinn loves the whole contemporary furniture and clean lines look, with modern art and low, clean lines, but I'm more of an antiques and family photos person. I think we might just end up fighting over our home improvement ideas.

That being said, there are easy ways to compromise the two looks. the Go Modern website has some great examples of that- and shows some ways that I would love to incorporate modern looks into my classical world. One way I would love to do that is to put a compact, flueless fire inside our huge rock fireplace to clean it up and make it more usable. Their flueless fires are sooo cool. They use a clean, green bio ethanol fuel that burns long and doesn't smoke or soot anything. I think that would be so nice for indoors, instead of the mess of ashes and smoke, or the the trouble of running a gas line to the fireplace for a gas log.

In general, I like their contemporary furniture selection as well. It's not overly simple, which makes me believe I could use it to accentuate the antique pieces I would love to display, as well as work well with some more ornate items. Contemporary furniture can be as useful as it is stylish, since it tends to be more compact and can really open up small places. I'm actually planning to use their website for inspiration and shopping in the future.

No comments: