Monday, February 25, 2008

Joshua


Used to talk about being a "fool for Christ." He would say that every time we started to do something that we knew to be stupid we should stop and purpose to redirect that energy and willingness to be seen as idiots into doing something for Christ.

I never really got it because I didn't think it made you look like an idiot to live like a Christian.

I was very young.

I'm still very young.

The unyounger that I get though, the more I realize how very idiotic and "foolish" it is to live for Christ. To dress differently, talk differently, believe differently, behave differently....all the things to say "no" too, and all the "oppourtunities" to reject. In the worlds' eyes we're idiots. I'm an "idiot" because I didn't take advantage of the possibility of piano lessons last spring. Josh and Tyana were "idiots" for maintaining a pure relationship through their courtship. Mom and Dad are "idiots" for having so many children without enough income to guarantee being able to support them. I'm an "idiot" for not listening to the same music as the kids I meet. Dad was an "idiot" to go into full-time ministry.

See what I mean? Each and every act, done with complete faith and trust in the fact that it WAS (and is) God's will, and each panning out into richer, deeper, more precious blessings and more joyful fulfillment...yet for some reason, seen only as idiotic. Or Foolish. Whichever word you choose.

A Fool For Christ. I've also heard the same idea represented as "HC4C" and "Fruitcake for Jesus." People mean to be, and try to be... but can any one of us get ourselves out of the picture to truly be? Back to an abandonment to Christ. Back to forgetting self, forgetting past, forgetting the world, and being all NOW, all HIS, and all HOLY.

************
Sunday while leading worship he was talking about having a legitimate, righteous fear of partaking in communion with a conscience that was not clear before God. He took that and turned it into a legitimate, righteous fear of having nothing to say when called upon to testify of Christ's work in your life.

Jason took that and told one of my favorite views of testimony time ever: That of the gauntlet being cast down, and the challenge placed, and Christians being those called upon to accept the challenge and defend the name of the Lord. If we have chosen to allow the Lord to work then surely we have something to say, for He is altogether lovely, altogether holy, and altogether wonderful. There must be something to be said in His defense. Something to be offered for the encouragement and uplifting of others.

The consecrated cross I’ll bear
Till death shall set me free;
And then go home my crown to wear,
For there’s a crown for me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Mom has taken Samuel to the Dr, and I'm babysitting.

****************************

Okay, so Mom TOOK Samuel to the Dr and now she's back and I'm not babysitting anymore. Samuel has a massive ear infection that he's been on antibiotics for for about 6 weeks, and it still isn't better. Not even cool. Poor kiddo. New antibiotics were prescribed today, and so he gets a new round of treatment. Yay. He's always had trouble with his ears. He's ruptured his eardrum more than once, and had infection after infection. If you think of it, I'm sure none of us would mind a little bit of extra prayer for him.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I was just reading Sara's blog, (which, btw, is one of my favorites) and she had the neatest thing posted. It's probably gonna go 'round the world on Christian blogs because it's moderately irresistible. Check this out:

Did you know…

1. Psalm 118 is the middle chapter of the entire Bible?
2. Before Psalm 118, Psalm 117 is the shortest chapter in the Bible?
3. After Psalm 118, Psalm 119 is the longest chapter in the Bible?
4. That there are 594 chapters each before and following Psalm 118?
5. That if you add up all the chapters except Psalm 118, you get a total of 1188 chapters?
6. And incidentally, 1188 or Psalm 118 verse 8 also happens to be the middle verse of the entire Bible?

The central verse should have a fairly important message don’t you think?

“It is better to trust in the Lord than to put

Confidence in man."


XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX


I keep writing and erasing, and writing and erasing. If this were real paper I'd have filled a wastebasket with the wadded up papers. I guess I'm gonna give up.

And let the peace of God rule in your hearts... And walk worthy of the Lord...and Give thanks to the Father.

~Jo, Jolie, Nani, JoNan, Joanna

And why is a man is strong as this
Being betrayed by a good friend's kiss
Could it be because this man missed
The heaven in His eyes
And this is why a man as holy as He
Had to die alone on Calvary
Cause it was the only way we could ever see
The heaven in His eyes

2 comments:

Sara N. Smith said...

Wow - you posted some great stuff. Sometimes, it feels so hard to be a fool for Christ? If only I wouldn't lose sight of eternity - how much easier it would be!!!
Trusting Samuel feels better - the poor thing!

Sara N. Smith said...

Oops, that wasn't suppose to be a question mark. It's a fact!